It was finally time for our flight home from Europe. We were amazed at how fast the time had gone, as we said goodbye to all the new friends we met.

We had a flight for one hour flight from Basel back to Amsterdam. The plane was called a city hopper. We were amazed that they came to serve a box lunch. Don ate his but I declined as we had just eaten breakfast on our river boat not long before.

Upon deplaning in Amsterdam, we had a LONG LONG LONG walk from one gate to the next and had to show passports and go thru 2 customers to get to the 2nd gage. We had only an hour and a half between planes, so by the time we walked the lengthy arrival halls to our new gate and got thru customs, they boarded us within 5 minutes.

Even though this was an 8 1/2 hour flight, I was not sleepy as we had just gotten up. I ended up watching about 4 movies. We were also served lunch, and then a 2nd meal which I opted out of as I was already stuffed and airport food it not all that good.

Because we fly Delta, we had to fly to Minneapolis to change planes. We arrived in Minneapolis about 5 PM, which was about about midnight in the time zone we’d left, so we were getting tired by this time. We had to go thru international check in, see the customs guy, and reclaim our bags and check them back in and then go to our gate. That took us about 30-45 minutes.

We were fortunate that the international flight all came into terminal G, as we knew our Tampa flight would be at the far end of G as usual, so we didn’t have to change wings. That was one blessing.

By the time we reached the end corridor, we found a real zoo. It seemed there were several late flights before us so there were 2 or 3 sets of people for each plane coming and going. Our flight was due to leave at 7:15 so we went in the restaurant to get away from the zoo and had a coke. By this time we were really getting tired.

They changed our Gate out as we figured they would with the zoo but we were lucky it was only one away. About an hour later we boarded to a totally full flight. I figured I would take a nap on this flight, but it was undoubtably the noisiest flight I’ve ever taken. First class had 3 or 4 young couples, that were noisy and talkative. The flight attendant kept going to the over head bins, and opening them all and closing them several times. We couldn’t figure out why.

Then they had problems with the drink carts for the back, and finally got them out when the flight attendant came to offer dinner. Needless to say I didn’t get to take a nap. Planes between MSP and TPA are always the old planes from KLM and they really stink. They don’t have TV, or anything to listen to on them. I didn’t feel like doing anything but taking a nap, but couldn’t so by the time we jumped ahead and hour and got into Tampa it was close to midnight. We finally arrived home about 1 AM.

All and all it was a great trip and we plan to do another river cruise. it’s a great way to meet new people and see new places and have someone there to show you around.


Tagged with:

Filed under: Travel and Vacations

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!